Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: 846A Valencia

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Eric 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I saw that too. What is the difference between the Iconic and the straight Valencia? It looks like mine have the same components. Also, my cases still have the grills in perfect condition which I have noticed is a rare thing. Most of the cases I've seen on ebay have damaged or missing grills.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You live close by us. I am in Bellingham WA. The audioheritage website shows a hx of Lansing. From what I understand Jim Lansing called his speaker systems Iconic. When he went to Altec or it merged or they bought his company or whatever happened the name went with him. At that point ALTEC Lansing began calling their 2 way systems Iconic. When Lansing left to go and form his own company again he tried to take the name with him but was eventually stopped by ALTEC from doing so. ALTEC continued to use the name Iconic in their two way systems especially the smaller versions of the "Voice of the Theatre' such as the Valencia 846A's that you possess. They stopped using the name some time in the mid to late 60's. I don't know if they had a sticker on them that said Iconic or not. I have seen some on Ebay but that may just be something someone stuck on there. It certainly was used in their promotional ads.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Don McR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    1

    The Iconic name originated with Lansing Manufacturing in 1937 when it was used as the brand name for a two-way bass reflex speaker consisting of a 15" field coil bass driver and field coil compression driver. The compression driver was the model 801, which later evolved into the Altec 802 when converted to an Alnico permanent magnet motor.

    Altec gained the trade name rights to "Iconic" when they purchased Lansing Manufacturing in 1941. They later used the name for a number of their two-way systems. These systems, like the Iconic Valencia, can trace their heritage back to the original 1937 Iconic. A more detailed history is here:

    Iconic History

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Eric 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gotcha. Thanks for the info. Yeah, you are close. I used to layover in Bellingham when I worked for Horizon. Beautiful place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.